The Alliant Energy Foundation is offering a new scholarship opportunity to recognize outstanding community leadership in young people and help students reach their academic goals.
Up to 25 $1,000 scholarships are awarded to students annually through the new Alliant Energy Foundation Community Service Scholarship Program.
Award selection is based on participation in a leadership role in community service activities and volunteer work; academic grade point average; standardized test scores; and the content of a 300-word essay submission.
2012 Community Service Scholarship recipients
- Sarah Al-Mazroa - Peru, IA (Winterset High School)
- Jessica Austreng - Sheboygan Falls, WI (Sheboygan Falls High School)
- Maria Bakker - Dodgeville, WI (Dodgeville High School)
- Emily Bicknese - Elgin, IA (homeschool)
- Shea Esser - Bloomington, WI (River Ridge High School)
- Kelsey Gerhart - Bancroft, IA (North Sentral Kossuth)
- Colleen Iverson - Dubuque, IA (Wahlert Catholic)
- Kelli Kerr - Monona, IA (MFL MarMac)
- Kendra Kirsch - Elkhart Lake, WI (Howards Grove High School)
- Carly Kjornes - Janesville, WI (Craig High School)
- Alexandra Larson-Osborne - Beloit, WI (Beloit Memorial High)
- Laura Ley - Dodgeville, WI (Dodgeville High School)
- Makayla Marinack - Almond, WI (Tri-County High School)
- Katherine Mccall - West Chester, IA (Mid-Prairie High School)
- Johanna Miles - Hopkinton, IA (Maquoketa Vally High School)
- Sarah Myers - Sabula, IA (Northeast Middle-High School)
- Cassidy Ottoway - Mineral Point, WI (Mineral Point High School)
- Bridget Ravis - Richland Center, WI (Richland Center High School)
- Alexis Reno - Humeston, IA (Mormon Trail High School)
- Michael Roth - Williams Bay, WI (Williams Bay High School)
- Annelise Roti Roti - Green Lake, WI (Green Lake High School)
- Seth Swearingen - Sigourney, IA (Sigourney Jr-Sr High School)
- Magdalene Van Roekel - Wellman, IA (Mid-Praire High School)
- Kiley Wermersen - Okoboji, IA (Okoboji High School)
- Allison Wold - St. Ansgar, IA (St. Ansgar High School)
To be eligible, scholarship applicants must have participated in a leadership role in community service work or volunteer activities. They must also meet the following criteria:
- Be age 24 or under;
- Be a dependent child of a current customer, or be a current customer, of one of Alliant Energy's utility subsidiaries (Interstate Power and Light or Wisconsin Power and Light);
- Have a cumulative high school grade point average between 2.50 and 4.00 on a 4.0 scale (or the equivalent) - emphasis will be placed on community service leadership activities;
- Reside within the Alliant Energy service territory at the time of application; and
- Plan to enroll in, for the first time, beginning in the fall of 2012, a full-time undergraduate course of study at an accredited two- or four-year college or university, or vocational-technical school located within Iowa, Wisconsin or Minnesota.
Employees of Alliant Energy Corporation, Scholarship America, their subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies and their immediate family (spouses, parents, children or siblings and their spouses) and persons living in the same household of such employees, who are employed at the time of application are ineligible to receive a scholarship.
A scholarship committee will carefully review each application in search of the most deserving recipients. Judges will consider several criteria, including:
- Leadership experience and community service or volunteer activities;
- Academic grade point average;
- Standardized test scores; and
- The content of a 300-word essay submission.
Rank-in-class will not be a determining factor. Scholarship awards are for one year only and are limited to undergraduate study. Applications will be accepted from December 23 to February 15.
You may now apply online for the Alliant Energy Foundation. Please click on the link below to apply:
FOR ANY QUESTIONS regarding the Scholarship Program, please contact Dawn Lehtinen, Program Manager, 507-931-0482 or email@example.com.
The online Community Service Scholarship application link will be active until February 15, 2012.